6.08.2012

Did you know. . . (last one!)

that you will get dark skin by sitting under normal fluorescent (I think?) light bulbs? Not the bulbs that belong in a tanning bed, but normal every day light bulbs.

Lao people are terrified of dark skin. They really use the word afraid. Every time I ride my motorbike without a jacket to protect my arms from the sun, they say, "Aren't you afraid of being dark?" I usually reply, "No, I'm afraid of being white." They hate dark skin. So they keep their jackets or sweaters on ALL the time! In my classroom all of the girls are wearing their jackets in this more than 100 degree sweat box. We do not have AC in our classrooms. They also think that the fan blowing directly on their skin will make it dark too. I haven't heard this one as often, but I've still heard it a few times. I know that Lao people's bodies are not the same as ours. They have experienced this stifling heat every year of their life. They are used to not sleeping in an ACed room. So I know the heat doesn't bother them as much, but still! Who wears a jacket inside when its 100 degrees!? People who are afraid of getting tanned from the light bulbs.

I wish this old wives' tale were true. Lately, I've been told frequently that my face is looking beautifully white. My arms see the sun when I drive on my bike. My face never sees the sun. If I drive on my bike it is hidden behind my helmet. Whenever I walk more than 10 feet outside my face is covered by an umbrella. I use an umbrella all the time now. When asked if I'm afraid of dark skin while using the umbrella, I reply, "No, I'm afraid of sweat dripping down my face and neck and back and looking like I just ran 3 miles." You'd be surprised at the smallest things that can cause me to pour sweat from my face. I always sweat a lot. :P But walking from the living room to the kitchen to get a drink of water will make me break a sweat. Disgusting huh? But rainy season is starting! I LOVE the rain! And it brings cooler temperatures. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment