5.19.2012

Getting Dumber

I know that I am getting dumber by living here. I think it is because over half of the words I speak are words a second grader could understand. If I speak in Lao I speak at a 4 year old level. When I teach English I speak at a 6 year old level.

I frequently speak incorrectly so that my students will understand. - The book, do you know where is it?

I don't use correct past tense verbs of irregular verbs. - Yesterday I go to the market and I buy some shoes.

I only know the easiest word of all synonyms. - I am happy today. I do not say - I am ecstatic today. or I am jovial. I don't even remember these words when someone says them to me.

I never use contractions. - I do not like to eat fish. I can not go with you.

When I read for pleasure (I wrote fun but decided to try to use a big word like pleasure) I sometimes don't know what words mean. I have seen them before and used to know, but have since forgotten.

When I talk to Americans who do understand the English language well, I cannot remember words that I want to say. If she is another English teacher sometimes we will work together for a few seconds to see if we can think of the word we want. Sometimes we just give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment