4.17.2011

Khammouan

For Lao New Year, Julia and I went to Khammouan province. Khammouan is 6 hours south of Vientiane by bus. We visited some of her students who live there. It was a quick trip. We got there Saturday evening and left Monday morning. Sunday we went swimming, saw a cave and visited some temples.
 We went swimming on the river. Some boys were playing with the boats, so we asked if we could use them for a while. It was nice and refreshing to go swimming! Lao people always swim in whatever clothes they are wearing. It feels a little weird to go swimming in jeans... but that's how they do it here!
 We rode in the back of a pickup all day! The sun and the breeze felt so nice!
 Uno is a great game to play! Easy to explain and understand and doesn't require much speaking. This is the tiniest banana I have ever seen!
 We visited a statue of some guy who helped do something important for Laos. The student's couldn't even remember much about him, so I don't know how important he was. . .
 Here are the students worshiping at one of the temples. It's so hard to see them worshiping like this. It's hard to understand how they can worship a statue like this. Thankfully my God is living and breathing and moving.
We had a little picnic by the river. It was a fun trip! Her students were so sweet and fun to be with! We came home for two days and then we went to Vang Viang with one of my friends and then I went to another friend's village. I'll put up pictures of that soon!

1 comment:

  1. You have been in Laos too long if you are starting to give the peace sign when you take a pic. I think this is the first pic I have seen where there isn't a Laotion giving the peace sign. Or does it mean something different down there? - Brent

    ReplyDelete