12.21.2012

Tall Asians

This past week Laos hosted the ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) University Games. A big sporting event for university students. I watched more sports in this week than I have in the last 3 years of my life. But it was fun.

I saw many tall Asian men. The average height of my university boy students is probably 5'4". I think I've only ever had 2 or 3 students who have been taller than me. (5'8") I didn't think tall Lao men existed. But I was wrong!

I saw quite a few Indonesians and Thai people who were over 6 feet- some even 6'4" or 5". And coming from the Dutch heritage that I do, and knowing the many tall Dutch boys that I do, I like tall boys. I guess in NW Iowa 6'3" isn't even that tall. But here in Laos it's like a giant!

At the games, I was introduced me to a male volleyball player for Laos who was 6'4"! I'm still in awe that there are actually tall people in Laos! And it's nice to be around "normal" sized people. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment