8.20.2010

English

Today was our last day of classes!!  :)  But now that means that we have practice teaching next week.  :S  I don't really know if only three weeks of classes is enough to be qualified to teach 40ish sophomore university students!  I know I sure don't feel ready.  But I don't teach on Monday, so I'll do some observing of my fellow teachers/classmates and hopefully learn a few more helpful teaching tips before it's my turn.  I don't know what will be more intimidating - standing in front of the students for two and a half hours or my teachers and the Vietnamese administrators who will be observing me. Hopefully I can come up with some great lesson plans and everything will go alright. 

We, the teachers going to Laos, will actually be able to teach some classes to Lao students who are in Hanoi on exchange programs.  Which should be fun!

This is a little poem that one of our teachers gave us to show us just how confusing the English language is.

When the English tongue we speak
Why is "break" not rhymed with "freak"?
Will you tell me why it's true
We say "sew" and likewise "few"?
And the maker of the verse 
Cannot cap his "horse" with "worse"
"Cord" is different from "word" 
Cow is "cow" but low is "low"
"Shoe" is never rhymed with "foe"
Think of "hose" and "does" and "lose"
And think of "goose" and not of "choose"
"Doll" and "roll," "home" and "some"
And since "pay" is rhymed with "say"
Why not "paid" with "said," I pray?
"Would" is pronounced like "could" - 
Wherefore "done" but "gone" and "lone"?
Is there any reason known?
And in short it seems to me
Sounds and letters disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment